Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm Back

I have not posted an update for quite a while. I am nearly halfway through my final year of Divinity School at Wake Forest University, and I have just been extremely busy and doing more writing is one of the last things I want to do. So, here's what has been going on.

Gay is enjoying her new job as Minister to Children at First Baptist Church of High Point. I am interning there as well. I am teaching the young adult class on Sunday mornings, and we had 35 in class two weeks ago! There is a lot of energy in the class even though we have been discussing stewardship! I have also taught on Wednesday nights and preached at a service held by the Vietnamese mission at the church. We are both learning a lot and have enjoyed getting to know a new congregation and a new staff.

Perhaps the most exciting news is my upcoming trip to Egypt. I will be spending nearly two weeks in Egypt after Christmas with a class from the Divinity School. The trip is a part of the Cultural Immersion program at the divinity school at Wake. Egypt is a very unique place because of the large role it played in the development of early Christianity, and the existence of the Coptic Orthodox church alongside a population that is predominantly Muslim. Of course, we will also have the opportunity to see the pyramids and other historic sites as well. There is little doubt that one of the biggest issues the world will face in the 21st century is the relationship between Christians and Muslims, and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to study this relationship first hand, even if it is only for a couple weeks.

I have registered for my classes for next semester, and my schedule looks like this:

Gender and Family in Early Christianity
Introduction to Pastoral Counseling
Formational and Transformational Practices in Christian Education
Multicultural Contexts for Ministry: Egypt
Topics: New Baptist Covenant (attending the event in Atlanta)
Pastoral Preaching
Art of Ministry III (Internship)

I am also beginning my job search, so if any readers know of a church looking for someone like me, let me know and I will send a resume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Gil and Gay
Love and well wishes to you both this Christmas season.

Love
Robert