Friday, April 07, 2006

Personal Update....

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on a few things.

I registered for my classes for next fall, and its not going to be easy! Here are the classes:
New Testament Greek I
New Testament Interpretation I
Christian Theology I
The Ministry of Pastoral Care (<- Hey, no 1!)
Art of Ministry IIA (Internship)

I am trying to take Hebrew over the summer, but I am not having much luck in securing funding for that. Financial aid is only available for the fall and spring semesters, and tuition is not cheap like it was in the good ole days of SBC Semenaries. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have 2 big papers, 1 small paper, and two exams before I finish this semester in the first week of May, so I will be a little busy between now and then.


A page from the Gospel of Judas

BTW, there is a special coming on the National Geographic Channel this Sunday night on the newly translated Gospel of Judas. From what I have been able to read online, it has Gnostic characteristics like many of the other "lost gospels" but it was not found at Nag Hammadi like many of the other Gnostic texts. Like those texts, however, it is written in Coptic which is a form of ancient Egyptian language. Dating of the text show it was copied around 300ad. It should be an interesting show to watch. Particularly, it will be interesting to see what kind of slant National Geographic takes. With the upcoming release of the movie version of the DaVinci Code, there is a lot of interest in these early Christian texts. As a Christian, don't be too quick to dismiss the value of these texts. While they may not be theologically valuable, they are most certainly historically valuable as they help us learn about the origins of our faith. Early Christians had to not only define what Christianity was, but also what it was not, which is one of the values of these texts.

As for the DaVinci code, if you have not read it, please do so. There is going to be a huge interest in this movie, and it gives us an opportunity as Christians to talk about our faith. We cannot, however, argue effectively out of ignorance. So, READ THE BOOK, or listen to the book on tape. If you approach the book knowing that it is fiction, its a great story, in my opinion. I'll try to post some resources that you might find useful once the semester is over.

No comments: