Friday, February 24, 2006

Update

I am now half way through my second semester in Divinity School, which I find amazing. I finished midterms this week, and I will start working on research papers soon. I am the most excited about the fact that I only have to take one more Christian History exam!

You may be wondering about the picture above. Well, that is a picture of First Baptist Church of Statesville, NC, which is the church where my wife Gay works. I talked with the vocational formation at Wake today about my internship for next year, and they approved an internship at Statesville. So, Gay and I will be working together again which will be great. I am looking forward to it.

I also started reading a book today I want to mention. Exiled: Voices of the Southern Baptist Convention Holy War. As I said, I just started the book so I can't offer a review of it yet. It is a book of essays written by those affected by the fundamentalists' takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention. The book actually has 2 forwards, both of which are written by people I know. The first is written by Carolyn Weatherford Crumpler, who was a close friend of my grandmother, Mary O'Quinn. In the book, she even writes about the time she spent at one of my former churches, Seminole Heights Baptist Church. She writes that she served two years there as Youth director, and about an experience at a revival.

The second forward is written by one of my current professors, Dr. James Dunn. Those of you who have met Dr. Dunn know what a character he is. It was interesting to see that he writes exactly the way he talks.

If you are interested in this book, it is available on Amazon. According to the site, it is not going to be available until April, but I ordered it and received my copy yesterday. I will post more about the book as I read more.

No comments: