Friday, October 14, 2005

Washington Day 1






Washington Day 1

Well I slept about as well as I expected to the first night. The bed is small, the mattress is terrible, and I had to go through the closet to go to the bathroom! But the pictures above tell a happier story. The speakers today were actually really good. We had someone on the conservative side of things that was pro-faith based initiatives. Then we had someone from Americans United for the Separation of Church and State which opposes faith based initiatives. Then it was off for the highlight of the day which was a meeting with the director of the First Amendment Center which is a part of the Freedom Forum group funded by the Gannett Media Endowment (excuse me if I get some of these names wrong. I am typing this on my top bunk in the dark. The meeting room is one of the pictures above (click for a larger picture) and the other is a view from the balcony. This talk was probably the highlight of the day for me. The topic was the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in the public school. I will write more of this later as I am able to look at my notes. Then it was back to the Penn house for two more lectures, and then I went out to dinner with a few fellow students.

Now I am back in the bunk and getting ready to go to sleep. Just in case you forgot what it looked like, here it is as big as blogger will let me show it. This is CLOSE TO LIFE SIZE! Notice the light we have to unscrew to turn it off and keep the fan on! (You can click for a larger version if you really want to.)

No comments: