Friday, August 26, 2005

"If I Were a Rich Man"

In the musical Fiddler on the Roof the main character, Tevye, has a verse in a song that came to my mind during History of Christianity 1 this week. The verse is from the song If I Were a Rich Man.

If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack
To sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

I was sitting in class listening to the dean of the divinity school talk about the history of our faith. All of sudden I started thinking how lucky I was to be there listening to one of the foremost Christian historians in the country. I was doing something very few Christians get to do. I get to spend 3 years studying about God, the church, and the Bible. What a blessing! What a responsibility! I know that I have been given this gift for a reason. I have to take what I am learning and share it with those who are not lucky enough to get this experience.

I also started feeling a huge sense of gratitude to those who have made it possible for me to get there. I have thanked people before, but this is something I cannot do often enough. I want to thank those who have helped me get this far by supporting my financially, emotionally, and spiritually. I hope to make all of you proud of me.

I may not have a lot of money, but I certainly feel like a VERY rich man.

No comments: