Wednesday, August 24, 2005

First Day of Class

Well, today I did something I never thought I would do: I went to my first day of class for a graduate degree. When I finished my degree at the University of South Florida, I thought I was finished with school; I wanted to be finished with school. But, God had other plans for me, and 11 years later, I am on my way.

I started today with Old Testament Interpretation 1. We went over the syllabus for about 10 minutes and then we dove right in, starting with Genesis 1:1. Dr. Neal Walls, the professor of this class, said we are going to ask a lot of questions in this class that we may not answer. We are going to learn the questions to ask in this class, and then answer them later in Theology courses. He led the class in a very discussional style, which I really liked, and I am really looking forward to what I am going to learn in this class.

I tried to post to the blog yesterday, but blogger was having some problems and ate my post. We had our first chapel service yesterday. It was called "A Service of Beginnings." The speaker was one of the associate deans of Wake Forest. She spoke about Abraham and Sarah "tenting" (packing up everything they had and following God) and compared that to what we were doing. The title of her sermon was "I feel like moving on," and she closed with a hymn of the same name that she played on the accordion. She was a great speaker, and it was a good service. I was also very happy that Gay was there to share it with me. After lunch, we went to a luncheon hosted by Ardmore Baptist Church. Local churches will be sponsoring lunches for us every other week, which is also a great thing.

I have taken the first steps on what is going to be a lifelong journey. I don't know where I am going yet, and I know the journey is going to be hard at times. But I am not traveling alone. The Lord is my guide, my wife is on the journey with me, and I have a LOT of people praying for me.

No comments: