Sunday, February 13, 2005

We've made a decision

Over the past several months, Gay and I have spent a lot of time talking and praying about where I am going to school. I have always felt this was a decision WE had to make, not a decision for ME to make. Although we know what an important decision this is, we also know that I would get a good education at any of the 4 schools we visited.

When we started on this journey, Brite Divinity School, at TCU in Fort Worth, was our first choice, but we decided to keep an open mind. We decided to visit Wake Forest because we would be in the area, but I don't think either one of us expected to end up there. However, after our visit, we both felt that Wake Forest was our first choice.

Before our visit, I had completed my application at both Brite and Wake Forest, so the waiting began. The acceptance letter from Brite came first, followed a few weeks later by the acceptance to Wake Forest. The package from Brite paid all but $1500 of the tuition thanks to their endowments and a CBF Leadership scholarship. I didn't receive any financial aid information from Wake Forest until a couple of weeks ago. I don't have my final offer from Wake Forest yet, but the current package still leaves about $4,000 of tuition unpaid. I am still working hard on reducing that number, but Gay and I still feel that Wake Forest is the place we belong.

Since the visit in November, God has continually put Wake Forest and Winston-Salem in our lives. We have heard from several people who know people who are going there who think they are getting a great education. There are several Wake Forest grads at Bayshore, who have encouraged us to pursue an education there. A few weeks ago, we had a visitor from Winston-Salem visit Bayshore. Gay sent them an e-mail, and we have since had lunch with them, and received an e-mail from their pastor. Housing costs in Winston-Salem are also much lower in Winston-Salem than they are in Fort Worth. We are hoping to be able to buy a condo with the money we make selling our house.

So, Gay and I have decided that it's time to take a step of faith. We are both sure that Wake Forest is where God is calling us. We know that if we follow God's plan for us, he will take care of us, and the money will come.

We also really like Brite, and we both admit to feeling a little sad that we are not going there. We have nothing but great things to say about the school and the people we met there, but we just feel God is calling us to Wake Forest. I will be informing Brite of my decision this week.

We both ask for your continued prayers. We are still waiting to hear about the Wait Fellowship. We will be working over the next month to put our house on the market, and Gay has already put out some feelers for church jobs. Every now and then I still ask myself if I am crazy, and telling myself that this is just not a normal thing to do. But, those thoughts soon pass, because I know this is God's will for my life.


erudit said...

Hey guys! It's great to hear God is directing your steps. I like NC a lot, have been down there a couple times to visit my brother.

I'm trying to make a decision about my move, too. It's very difficult! The financial uncertainty is a big concern- moving out there jobless with the high cost of living. So since we're all in transition, let's remember to pray for each other!

Take care, Gina

Gil Gulick said...

Thanks, Gina. Gay and I will certainly keep you in our prayers. We are a little bit luckier than you, we are moving to an area with a lower cost of living than we have now.

I think we both know that following Gos's will can get very scary at times, but we know that if we do it, we will be rewarded in the end.