Monday, November 08, 2004

McAfee School of Theology


McAfee School of Theology on Mercer's Atlanta Campus

Today, Gay and I visited the McAfee School of Theology on Mercer's Atlanta Campus. The first floor of the building houses the classrooms and offices, and the second floor houses the National CBF offices.

Going into today, McAfee was probably my second choice, and it probably still is. As I have mentioned earlier, both Gay and I really feel called to Brite, and although we understand that may change, nothing I experienced today made me change my mind.

We arrived at McAfee about noon. We toured the campus with one of the students, Susan Fraley, whose home church is Faith Baptist Church in Kentucky. This is significant because Faith is one of Steve Hadden's (Bayshore's new pastor) former churches, and she says she remembers Steve very well. The facilities were all very nice, and we enoyed our tour. We had lunch in the student Cafeteria, and were able to get all of our questions answered. I will be returning here for a scholars day in February when I will compete for scholarships.

After lunch, I took Gay back to the hotel to rest, and I attended a class in Evangelism and Missions. Before class, I was able to talk to several more students, one of which had great things to say about Brite. He was from Ft. Worth, but he wanted to go to school elsewhere. He asked me what schools I was investigating, and he said they were all great schools. He said the most important thing was to visit and find out where I fit, and in his opinion, I would get a great education at any of the schools I am looking at. The topic of the first hour of class was why people leave a church; I found both the professor and the class to be very interesting and came out of the class with a very positive impression.

Going to a class made me realize a couple of things. The first is that this is really going to happen. Before today, seminary was just something that was out there in the future, but today made it seem very real. I am going to be spending the next 3 years of my life in classrooms again, which is something I never thought I would do again. The second thing I realized is that not only is God calling me to do this, but he has now blessed me with the real desire to do this. During the class, I found myself wishing that I was doing this for real and participating in the discussion. Shortly after we were married, I told Gay I never wanted to go back to college, but that has now changed, and I know that change is just one of many Gay and I will be going through over the next several years.

Gay and I are having dinner with Bo and Gail Prosser tonight. Bo is CBF's national coordinator for congregational life. Gay and I have met him on several occasions before, and it is something we are really looking forward to.

Tomorrow we are off to North Carolina, and we will visit Campbell on Wednesday.

No comments: