Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election Results

As most of you know, I supported John Kerry in the race for president. He conceded the election to George Bush this morning, which was the right thing to do in my opinion.

Luckily for those of you who disagree with me, this will probably be the last thing I will write on politics for a while. But I do think there are a few things that need to be said.

It is not un-American to disagree with the president or the government. We are lucky to live in a country where we are allowed to speak our mind. We all, however, need to pray for our government and leaders. More specifically, we need to pray that they will do God's will, not ours.

It is not un-Christian to vote Democrat. If you believe that the republicans have all the right answers, you are fooling yourself. The new senator from South Carolina believes that gay women and single mothers should not be allowed to teach in public schools, because of their immorality. I am reminded of the Tony Campolo sermon I heard a couple of years ago. Tony Campolo was being criticized because he "loved gays and lesbians." His response was: "So does Jesus." As a country, we need to be very careful that we do not treat others as second class citizens because they do not share our beliefs or religion, or because they are not like us. In the past, the Bible has been used to support the mistreatment of slaves and women. We need to be careful to no let this happen again.

Liberalism is not always a bad thing. One of the reasons cited by southern states when they seceded from the union was the election of the extremely liberal president, Abraham Lincoln. Liberalism has a history that is at least as proud as conservativism, and there have been and will continue to be strong Christians who identify themselves as liberals/democrats.

The continued separation of church and state is an absolute necessity. One needs only study the history of Theocracies to understand why.

The election is over and my side lost. I still love my country, and I feel extremely blessed to live in a country that allows me to participate in the political process. The election does nothing to change my political views. So, you can expect to hear from me again in two years when the democrats take back the congress! :)

No comments: